| 0 comments ]

Day 1
Wow, I’m in Beijing! A 30 minute bullet train connection from Tianjin’s Train Station and here I am.

I joined a group of tourists on a tour to the Great Wall of China and boy, was I blown away! The mammoth size of the structure and the view from the great wall was truly humbling.

Day 2
I can’t believe I stood before THE Forbidden City. Not only is it one of the most popular landmarks in China but it was also the home of China’s many emperors. It has over 980 surviving buildings and 8,707 bay rooms! Boy, they sure know how to build their palaces.

Across the street from the palace was the Tian’an Men Square and definitely much bigger than when I saw it on tv. There were many other buildings around the square like Mao’s Mausoleum, the Great Hall of People and the National Art Museum of China.

When evening came, my stomach gave a big growl and I knew it was time to get some duck! I took a taxi to the Quan Ju De Restaurant and had myself a feast of crispy, juicy baked duck. Covered in a delicious sweet dip - it was marvelous!

Day 3
Room service buzzed me early to inform me that there was going to be a lion dance in the lobby. A custom of the Chinese to usher in the the new year - I was impressed by the troupe’s acrobatic skills.

I then took a cab to the Olympic Gardens to stand by the great architectural feat - the National Stadium (Bird's Nest) and also walk along the breathtaking topiary garden and sculptures which was filled with garden fountains.

Day 4
Managed to get souvenirs for everyone! I got lots of bargains at the Hongqjao Market and bought pearls and semi-precious stones for my mom and sister. Then, I went to the Xidan Commercial Street and got my dad a porcelain ash-tray. I also visited the Liulichang street for calligraphy brushes and found a complete set.

The evening came and I hopped on a trishaw for an evening ride through the hutongs to admire the alleyways and lifestyle of the local people. The cool night breeze and the beautifully lit up night scene is something I’ll remember for a long, long time. I love Beijing!

Book from 12 - 22 Feb 2009 Travel from 02 Apr 2009 - 31 Jan 2010

Click here for more bargain, discount, events info



Related Posts by Categories



0 comments

Post a Comment



Search for a bargain, discounts, or events .....