| 2 comments ]

This is the contribution of a reader on his bad experience when travelled to JB recently. So becarefult.

So, on Saturday night (Jan 03, 2009) I went to JB for the weekend and encountered a couple, one man and one woman, from China at City Square. I think was around 7-8pm.

Anyway, long story short, couple says need money (and will pay back, husband offered his business card and asked for your mobile number) because they are supposed to meet a friend but friend never turned up and now need money for meals / lodging. The "husband" will approach you first then the "wife". Basically the story will be one where they are "trapped" and need urgent help in terms of money.

If you meet them, DO NOT give them any money because its FAKE. I didn't expect to see this type of scam at City Square. This is my fourth time encountering something similar, twice at Hongkong airport, once at Bangkok airport.

Also, don't try to act smart and offer to bring them to police station. Usually they work as a group, so before you reach our nearest police station, you maybe robbed outside.

Just walk away. Don't bother listening to them. Don't even give your mobile phone number or lend them your mobile (cos they need to make a phone call). If you can, walk to an area where there's a lot of people.

First time, I end up giving away 500 HKD. Pay money to learn a lesson I guess. I thought I was helping someone out. I didn't realize until my collegue told me it's a scam.

My third time was in Bangkok (2006) I think. I have some spare cash on me and the poor lady looks almost 60-70 years old. End up, I gave her around 1000 Baht. I knew I wasn't going to get it back but pitiful lah, old lady still have to resort to this.

Actually, not the name card bah. It's the way they psycho you to give them money. People usually get hook when they say, "I will give you 150% more for your kindness. My father (husband,daughter, fill in the blanks) is Managing Director of so-and-so company". Greed bah.

Anyway these days I either fake speak Malay (or some funny language, basically don't understand English / Chinese). And then run fast fast.

Click here for more bargain, discount, events info



Related Posts by Categories



2 comments

Anonymous said... @ January 19, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I experience something similar at Shanghai too...

Anonymous said... @ January 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM

It's always difficult to determine whether the person approaching is genuine. Anyway, the rule of thumb is not to give. Even if you give, just enough for them to make call for help.

Post a Comment



Search for a bargain, discounts, or events .....